Subject: RE: [ebxml-dev] ebXML specifications interdendancies

Dan

The "ebCPA handler" module I assume would address CPA negotiation. If ebXML
does not define a CPA neogtiation process , I would definitely want to go to
a vendor who provides CPA neogtiation capabilites using message exchanges. I
believe that ebMS can be customised/extended (using SOAP extensions) to
provide CPA negotiation capabilities (something similiar to Reliable
Messaging !? ).
   Well my whole confusion is, when ebMS can be customised/extended to have
additional messaging features (using SOAP extensions), how do I use it
without getting locked down into a propreitory messaging solution from
vendor  , until ebXML addresses it in the standard ?
  Anywayz, I dont know if my argument makes any sense at all. Besides always
believed that a modular architecture with Service Provider Interfaces (SPI)
for handlers and standard API's ( like in JAVA ) created the best market
solutions. The ebXML groups have definitely done their work , but I think
the implementations should also be made more configurable to maximize
usability. Again these are just passing thoughts !
  Let me tell you where my thoughts/concerns come from. I am trying to
understand how our existing users (EAN.UCC members) most of which use
EDI-INT AS2 as the TR&P protocol can use our standards along with ebBPSS (
and maybe ebCPA ) without having to use ebMS and having to break existing
infrastructure.
  The reasons being :
	# EDI-INT AS2 infrastructure already set-up and being used as the
TR&P protocol
	# Point-to-Point messaging satisfies peer-to-peer business exchanges
between trading partners, multi-hop not really required
	# Reliable-mesaging , security , error-handling, QoS addressed by
AS2 is sufficient
	# Huge investments already around AS2, not practical to move to
evolving ebXML specs / technologies and products
	# Something like an BPSS engine maybe useful as an extension to
existing implementations.

I dont know if there are any vendors who have thought about this, but this
MAY actually be practical user requirement. Again this is just a passing
thought :) !

Dipan Anarkat
Uniform Code Council, Inc.
Tel: (609)-620-4509