Subject: Re: [ebxml-dev] ebXML specifications interdendancies

My view of it has always been that context is an analysis aid, a kind of short cut to help you quickly get to things which are defined differently in different business processes or industries.  In the date example you cite, we have two different contexts because there are two different business processes.  The difference really comes in at the level of the aggregate in which the dates are used.  At a very general level, J has carries similar kinds of information in contexts A and B.  However, in context A J might be composed of R, S, and X.  In
context B it might be composed of R, Y, and Z.  In neither case is context *needed*, it is just an aid.  Without context, you could say that if in A, J = R + S + X, and in B, J = R + Y + Z, then, then we really not talking about two Js but a J and a K.

Other than that, all that I can suggest that you do is go back to the ebXML1.0 specifications and study the sections on context.  The next article in my ebXML series will deal with core components and contexts.  I'm going to try to explain the concepts in a way that I haven't seen other people do yet, so you may want to watch this list when it is posted.  I doubt, however, that I'll complete it until after the holidays.

Hope this helps.

Duane, if you want to try to answer Fred's questions, be my guest.