Subject: RE: [ebxml-dev] BPMI?

BPSS contains two things: a) a protocol which sits on top of the MS
protocol and b) a collaboration specification based on the concept of
choreographed business transactions. The protocol is inside the business
transaction.

A BPMS should not deal with protocol level semantics, in other words it
is not here to enforce/implement the protocol. This is actually the role
of the BSI layer as proposed in the BPSS spec and well documented by
Stephano Pogliani.

However, if you get rid of the protocol you still have a flow of
information (request/response and exceptions generated by the BSI based
on the analysis of the protocol).

What I propose is that BPML support at the metamodel level the concepts
of business transactions and collaboration. Isn't a business process a
series of coordinated collaborations (with partners, with enterprise
systems, and with users) ?

Don't get me wrong, I would like to see BPML to succeed, I am just
trying to point at the past and show that BPML suffers the same lack of
vision that a WfMC or OMG has had (I need to catch up on UML 2.0 to see
where the OMG is going). It is actually amazing to me that each group
(WfMC, BPMI, EDOC, OMG MS, IBM...) consciously omits one or more side of
the problem. BPML acts just as if B2B did not exist. Aren't 90% of
enterprise processes driven by some kind of customer, supplier or
channel partner interaction?

Cheers,

Jean-Jacques Dubray____________________
Chief Architect