Subject: [ebxml-dev] Re: [ISO8601] Re: New Date Formats.

Sue - the problem is in the implementation.

ISO 8601 is too wide in how it can be interpreted by software developers.

With large companies the IT department and the end user can work out how
to place a date in a field on a form.  Dates can either be generated by a
computer systems or entered by an end-user:

1	generated by the customer application
	eg date of order and required date of delivery
2	generated by the supplier system
	eg likely date of delivery, date of payment and date of discount payment
3	entered by the end user
	eg required date by end user

	You can either
	1	allow the end user to type the required date or
	2	provide a standard drop down venue that automatically places the date
		in the right ISO 8601 format

However most SMEs do not have IT Departments they rely on software
developers.

This is why we are proposing a standard ISO 8601 format drop down menu for
SME ebXML software developers.

Most SMEs when they are setting up their systems do not put in the time
differential into their e-mail software programs.

The National Telecoms all provide telephone books with the time differentials for
each region.  Microsoft provides this as part of the Windows operation system.

Perhaps a location code is required for E-business applications to calculate the
difference between GMT and local time.  This location code could be provided by
the ISP as part of the service.   This could be the zip code in the US or postcode
in UK and Australia.  It is part of the UN/EDIFACT address structure.

However the name and address structure of UN/EDIFACT is very basic and
designed before the arrival of the Internet and systems with local intelligence
[PCs] drop down menus providing users with choice selections rather than
keying in data.

The framework of the UN/EDIFACT structure is very good in that it outlines a 3
ch code for each field.

However it does not go far enough with modern disciplines like workflow
automation to define the documents (and code the documents) in each
industry information cycle.

Keith FINKELDE Chair of ebXML Australia has pointed out at a number of
meetings that the UN/EDIFACT structure is not suitable for ebXML Applications.
However after 12 months there does not seem to be any progress in re-defining
the address structure of UN/EDIFACT
http://www.oic.org/EB/mswg1

(This is on the OIC site rather than ebXML Australia site because for the last
18 months we have informed ebXML Australia that you cannot read the minutes
with Netscape.  Many of our members are software developers.  A number have
an aversion to using Microsoft products like Internet Explorer particularly Unix
and Linux developers.  We have passed on the complaints to ebXML Australia)

CONCLUSION

If the objective of ebXML includes enabling SMEs to use the Internet for E-
business then SME software developers with specific industry application
knowledge need to be provided with the tools to develop ebXML applications
quickly.

Those tools include:

1	A standard Business and Individual ebXML name module

2	A standard ebXML Address module

3	A standard ebXML Date module

These should be drop down menus (eg Mr, Ms, Mrs, Prof, Dr) and free type eg
Peter HENRY (with a separate field for each name so a sort can be carried out
on surnames for different reports and the surname in caps so that everyone
knows that the letters in caps are the surname)

The OIC background with E-commerce and XML can be reviewed on
http://www.oic.org/3a4a.htm

My background over the last 15 years with EDI and SMEs can be reviewed on
http://www.halisa.net/G/C/HINGCAH2.htm

regards

Stephen GOULD
ebXML Representative