Subject: RE: [ebxml-dev] ebMS vs RNIF

Hi
Did any body has work on the RNIF .I have some problem in working with
it.....
If any body has work on this please let know...
Thanks
Ankur

-----Original Message-----
From: Lars.E.Abrell@skanova.com [mailto:Lars.E.Abrell@skanova.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2002 3:24 PM
To: arvola@tibco.com; spatil@iona.com
Cc: ebxml-dev@lists.ebxml.org

Thanks all for your kind responses

I have some more questions - specially regarding the reliable messaging
capabilities of RNIF 2.0.
In several answers I have got (both online and offline) I'm told that RNIF
does NOT provide reliable messaging.

On the other hand, in a paper (from WebMethods) comparing RNIF 1.1 and RNIF
2.0 I have read that:

"RNIF specifies a reliable messaging mechanism based on Acknowledgements and
supplies a set of standard choreography models that all PIPs must follow."

 <<RNIF 1.1 - 2.0.pdf>>
By reading the answers, the above paper and also the RNIF 2.0 spec - and I'm
now a bit confused.

Is it true that RNIF 2.0 only provide a reliable messaging mechanism when
you also use the different RosettaNet PIP's? I.e RNIF 2.0 can not be
considered as a "standalone" Message Service Handler (MSH) in the same way
as ebMS? And that the reliable messaging mechanism in RosettaNet is achieved
by sending "Receipt Acknowledgment" messages/documents from the "application
layer" by executing the RosettaNet PIP's?

Also I understand that the future RNIF 3.0 will be layered on top of ebMS.
Or even that RNIF 3.0 == ebMS?
Is it true that ebMS will be used INSTEAD of RNIF (3.0) or what capabilities
do you believe that RNIF 3.0 will put on top of ebMS?

When do you believe that this new RNIF 3.0 spec will be available?

My best regards

Lars Abrell
Telia / Skanova

both of these
> protocols ...
> 1. support multiple transports (HTTP/S, SMTP), MIME packaging
> 2. define semantics and syntax for carrying over bulk of the messaging
metadata such as from, to, timestamp, business process identifier,
correlation ID, description of contained business document, etc
> 3. support synchronous, asynchronous messaging, one-way/two-way
interactions
> 4. support binary attachments
>
> Where ebXML has upper hand is in ...
> 1. Specification defined reliable messaging (helps ensure
interoperability)
> 2. Better technology for persistent signatures. In addition, specification
includes outline of an array of  security services and various combinations
in terms of profile (again helping interoperability as capabilities can be
described in terms of precisely defined profiles)
> 3. Multi-hop messaging
> 4. Provisions for addressing partner agreements as part of the messages
> 5. Horizontal protocol, not limited to any vertical or types of business
processes in terms of interaction pattern such as two-way, two-party, etc.

> RNIF on the  other hand has upper hand in
> 1. Relatively mature - multiple vendor solutions, testing tool kits
available today
> 2. Less optional features, easier in terms of ensuring interoperability
> 3. Security solutions based on commonly available, mature technologies
>
> Hopefully the efforts are merging (there are already solid signs of
progress in this direction) and if I am not wrong, the common solution will
be based on ebXML Messaging.

> There are quite a few vendors providing solutions for both of these,
recently.
> IONA has been a key participant in specification development and also
early adoption in terms of providing solution, promoting interoperability,
etc  for both RosettaNet and ebXML. RNIF 1.1, RNIF 2.0 and ebXML Messaging
2.0 solutions are part of IONA's offerings.