Subject: AW: [ebxml-dev] RE: [EDI-L] Article on ebXML Core Components ...

Onk!

What I liked most at ebXML from the very beginning was the
"document-independency". Approaching a customer, offering a reliable,
low transmission cost, secure(d) standard which brings with it a huge
count of (not obligatory) opportunities (actually features) also
offering a migration path. (Answering the customers question "And I do
need to develop all my mappings from incoming to inhouse system and
inhouse to outgoing again?" with "No, sure you don't!" ("... but you
can, if you like to.")

Following this discussion I (again) get the impression that a huge count
of people is waiting for the 1001st definition of a invoice and the
5096th definition of a purchase order.

Again (I expect) we will face the reality that even SME will require
branch specific information in their documents and will "interpret" this
or that so or different, will use price including tax and the addition
of tax and net price will not match the total price and so on. Will face
the issue that they could receive a very nice and well formed and well
filled ebXML PO but their ordering system (programmed by a student in
1991 who "forgot" to write a documentation as well) cannot handle XML
(even close) but another student developed a converter for the thee ANSI
message types they need to send and receive, which is working fine
(since 1992:-).

Somehow I get the impression that we are assuming SME to have an
excellent and well designed IT (and message) infrastructure where ebXML
messages can be easily adapted into what no other message format of the
past was able to achieve. I - somehow - doubt that.

I really appreciate the dictionary definition, to define a strong
"CoreComponent library" where you can build messages from if you need.
But in my experience you don't need to for standard
EDI/B2B/default-Business messages.
Small fish are doing business with bigger fish and the bigger the fish,
the more suitable for himself he defines his water (and the small fish
have to swim in there if they want to live no matter whether they like
to or not).

Best Regards,
Christopher