Subject: RE: [ebxml-dev] Global Commerce Initiative?

Just some other perspectives:

CPFR, and GCI, is far more than "retail".  It is retail and its supplier,
both intermediate (distributors, wholesalers) and manufacturers.  CPFR is
also a buy-side and sell-side multi-enterprise business process, unlike most
other B2B processes.  For consumer goods/retail, globally, CPFR is one of
the most advanced XML-based standards supported business processes - unlike
anything EDI ever did.

CPFR was not a high priority for GCI when it started but it is now.  They
started by seeking to make "EDI global" and realized that CPFR is new and
has no legacy to replace.

The article talks about "point to point" and I have been talking about Peer
to Peer interoperability now for 4 years or more.  I don't think the article
gets to the key point here and stops rather short of the real future and the
path to get there; though it does introduce some of the main issues.
Interoperability as you know is not the same as integration.

The VICS Internet Committee (a sister group to the CPFR group) published a
reference model of Internet standards last fall. It recommends ebXML
Messaging. ebXML messaging is very important because it is the only public
specification that offers "once-and-only-once" reliable message delivery as
an option. As an alternative (recognizing that ebXML products were only just
coming to market at that time), the model also endorses IETF EDIINT AS2 as a
data transport mechanism, though it lacks this level of reliability
guarantee. EDIINT AS2 was used in the (just completed) CPFR interoperability
test.

Andrew White