Subject: FW: [ebxml-dev] ebXML and limited resources

Hello Daniel,

We have just gone live with an industry wide B2B implementation using the ebXML messaging infrastructure, carrying an aseXML document as the payload. aseXML is the Australian energy industries data description language.

I'm not sure what you mean by network resources, if you want high speed network performance, clearly - dont use any form of web services, ebXML or otherwise, don't use anything that uses HTTP as the transport layer. If you are in an all Java environment use RMI (in conjunction with RMIProxy http://www.rmiproxy.com/ if you have to cross firewalls - otherwise it will fall back to HTTP anyway and defeat the purpose of the technology). If you dont have the option of deploying on RMI then you need CORBA and middleware. The difficulties of CORBA (and DCOM for that matter) is kind of the problem that cumbersome web services are there to fix. So - if ubiquity demands you sit on HTTP (or SMTP for that matter) using an intermediate data description language (presumably some flavour of XML) - expect overheads in the gateways and on the network.

ebXML is an excellent solution to many of the problems posed by inter enterprise collaboration, certainly here in the Gas industry it has been a startling success in the form in which we have used it ( ebMS v1.0 with signing and reliable messaging). However while it offers excellent abstraction from the disparate platforms that are deployed by the various participants, it is by no means 'lightweight' in the gateways. The overheads in HTTPS, digital signing, reliable messaging, and so on, are substantial, particularly if you need to scale up to large traffic volumes. Our system (which has a hub and spoke architecture) has been live for about 3 weeks and is currently doing about 100,000 messages through the hub on a busy day.

Given all the constraints we faced, I don't think any technology other than ebXML could have delivered a viable messaging solution to this industry; in conjunction with aseXML which has here demonstrated the great strength of XML in providing a common data description language.

Neil Belford

Architect,
FRC B2B System
VENCorp
http://www.vencorp.com.au

-----Original Message-----
From: Daniel Kilper [mailto:daniel.kilper@mailbox.tu-dresden.de]
Sent: Wednesday, November 13, 2002 12:55 AM
To: ebxml-dev@lists.ebxml.org
Subject: [ebxml-dev] ebXML and limited resources

Dear all,

We are currently dealing with XML based transaction standards used in
environments with limited network resources. Is there an investigation
available dealing with efficiency of ebXML under time or limited network
resource constraints?

Thanks in advance for comments,

Daniel Kilper

EU-Project "whyless.com"
Department of Business Management and Economics
Dresden University of Technology
01062 Dresden, Germany

phone : +49 351 463 39201
fax   : +49 351 463 36883
e-mail: daniel.kilper@mailbox.tu-dresden.de

"This communication is intended solely for the addressee and is
confidential and not for third party unauthorized distribution."