Subject: Re: [ebxml-msg] FW: [ebxml-dev] ebXML MS Headers and Application layerprocessing

All,

The UN/CEFACT Applied Technologies Group (ATG) and the EAN.UCC eCommerce Global Implementation Forum (ecGIF)  are developing a "Standard Business Data Header" that will address some of the "Message Service Interface" issues you discussed. The concept will allow application message handlers to process and route messages in a data driven fashion, based on standard information in the Header (which would be contained in the body of the message). The objective is to develop a conceptual Header that is syntax and data format independent; however the initial emphasis is on XML messages.

The standard information would include logical data elements (known to back-end applications and/or transformation applications) such as "Sender", "Receiver", "Document Type", "Unique Message Reference", and "Creation Date/Time". This standard information would be related to but different than the physical data elements contained in the actual communications transport envelope of the message. So for example, an XML instance document would contain the "Standard Business Data Header" and the values in the Header could be used by the outbound communications infrastructure to determine the destination and what communications protocol to use.

Because this Header information will be in a standard format, different implementations using different architectures and combinations of applications all can utilize the information to make routing and processing decisions. Thus the sending and receiving organizations have the flexibility to choose the best approach for their situation,  independent of what approach their counterpart chooses.

So taking an XML instance document containing a "Standard Business Data Header" through the various processes would look like this:
1. An XML instance document containing the Header is created.
2. The outbound communications application can do a high level parse of the XML for the Header data tags (or acquire the information via an API). The communications application can then determine (e.g. via table look-up) the physical destination and the communications protocol to use to send the XML document.
3. The receiving (inbound) communications application can do a high level parse of the XML looking for the standard Header data tags. (Because the Header format is standard, contained in the XML instance document, and independent of the communications protocol used, the information is easily found, regardless of what communications software the sender used.) Based on the tag information, the communications application can determine where to route the XML instance document (e.g. one of several transformation applications, or an XML-capable back-end application).
4. A receiving transformation application can further use the standard Header to determine which "map" to invoke to transform the XML instance document into the appropriate internal data format.

Any interested individuals are invited to join our discussions.

John Duker
Document Editor, UN/CEFACT ATG Generic Header project &
co-chair, EAN.UCC e-Commerce Global Implementation Forum

Matthew MacKenzie <matt@mac-kenzie.net>

02/12/2003 12:21 PM