[ebxml-dev] Re: [ubl-lcsc] Re: [ubl-ndrsc] UN/CEFACT ATG "Generic Header" Project

Melanie,

I am not sure if you are replying to me directly, or the UBL list, so let me put my personal view (i have no organisational one).

My comments were to point out that I haven't see a clear case of what the requirement for a 'Generic Header' is.  The 'information items' that you list on your matrix are so similar to those of ebXML MS that I wonder why we need them.  The only rationale so far is that EDI had them, so we need them to.

I don't want to buy into this debate, just get a clearer view of the architecture being proposed.  Once again, the UML diagrams in the attached documents do not add anything that either a message service interface or specific internal business processes would not cover.

As Duane Nickull has indicated on the ebxml-dev list, this is an architectural issue, not one that those in the ebXML MS team necessarily appreciate (from their comments i suspect they just think its a business need).  My hope is that coming out of the discussion with the ebXML MS group and the Architecture team, you will be able to define the currently unfulfiled function that this project addresses.
As such, i don't think UBL has anything to 'sort through' - until we know what value this project adds,  it is just a distraction from our work.  UBL is just about standard messages,defining the information necessary for a business application.  it assumes that choreography and business process modeling is taken care of at a different layer.

Footnote:
My apologies for cross posting this thread (i hope it makes sense to you), my objective was to address both the UBL and ebXML communities without duplicating a long list of responses.

Kudela, Melanie wrote:
RE: [ubl-lcsc] Re: [ubl-ndrsc] UN/CEFACT ATG "Generic Header" Project

We (GH group) are also happy to work with ebXML and UBL teams to sort this through. ALthough we have no draft document yet, we do have a an assorted amount of documentation as well as a spreadsheet for incorporating the various ways standard bodies currently handle the attributes that will eventually be used to post the ebMS message or other message (EDI, etc.).

One way that we could enlist your support is request that the organization you are representing provide the input into the our spreadsheet. It will then be considered during our discussions in San Diego.

Melanie Kudela
Director, XML Development

Uniform Code Council, Inc.
Princeton Pike Corporate Center