Re: [ebxml-dev] Re: [ubl-lcsc] Re: [ubl-ndrsc] UN/CEFACT ATG 'Gen eric Header' Project

David:

These are indeed good thoughts.  I have a question for the generic
header team.

How is a generic header that uniquely identifies a payload different
from the existing Unique Idenfitier for the payload?  As you are aware,
  an aggregate BIE has a Unique ID already present.   What are the
differences?  Why would we want two Unique ID's?

Duane

Burdett, David wrote:
> The original use case for including the "header information" in the
> payload is to support some of the existing translation/mapping software
> tools that can only handle one "document" at a time. They are unable to
> support message information in a header and simulataneoulsy handle the
> document itself. Copying the information into a header in the document
> solves this problem. This is really no more than a different
> representation of the message information.
>
> But is this the right way of solving the problem?
>
> The questions we need to answer include:
> 1. Does creating a standard set of header information help? I think the
> answer is yes at it reduces development cost for *those instances* where

> you have a business or technical need to do it.
>
> 2. Should such a header be a standard (optional) part of each message? I

> don't think so since in many cases it will not be needed at all
>
> 3. Should you define a standard way of including it in a message when
> needed? I think you should as sometimes you will need it. In this case
> handling it using XML Schema and its extension mechanism makes sense, I
> think.
>
> Bottom line, message metadata information should normally go in the
> header and not in the document but a method of putting or copying the
> information into the message itself should be defined for use when
needed.

> David

They

--