Subject: RE: UN/CEFACT Position Statement on ebXML

Klaus,

I have read and reread your statement, and to be honest - I am rather confused.  The statement in part appears no different than that issued by the Chair of CSG last month in Seoul.  Further, the statement appears to have many conflicting parts.  As a result, and in conjunction with recent actions regarding the CCTS and BPSS specifications, it is very unclear to me exactly what CEFACT is trying to do here.  In order to provide clarity to all, would you be so kind as to seek CEFACT CSG unequivocal responses to each of the following questions:

	1) What exactly does "UN/CEFACT recognizes that ebXML is a very important technology solution which it will continue to actively maintain and support" mean?
	2) Is CEFACT now prepared to implement the requirements for long-term management of ebXML as defined in the ebXML Requirements Technical Specification?
	3) Is CEFACT now prepared to reestablish the JCC with OASIS?
	4) Will CEFACT reverse its recent actions of removing ebXML branding from what are rightfully ebXML specifications as agreed to in Vienna and in keeping with the belief that they were furthering ebXML specifications by those individuals who worked on them?
	5) Will CEFACT firmly commit to continuing to progress these ebXML specifications in full partnership with OASIS to ensure that the ebXML framework remains intact?
	6) Will CEFACT commit to publishing its ebXML core components, business information entities, and defined business processes in an ebXML compliant registry as part of the developing ebXML framework? (please note this does not in any way limit the ICG options - it only states than any registry ICG decides on will support the ebXML registry specifications in addition to any other specifications they decide on) please also note that ebXML core components are syntax neutral and as such the premise put forth that the ebXML branding implies some syntax is misleading)
	7) Will CEFACT commit to acting as a harmonization and approval mechanism for ebXML core components from other interested standards organizations?
	8)  Will CEFACT commit to working with OASIS to establish the joint ebXML architecture team that was promised in Vienna?
	9) Will CEFACT put in place procedures that will guarantee that individuals can not, under any circumstances, unilaterally change work products submitted by working groups?

It would seem to me that yes answers to 2 through 9 would indicate a true desire on the part of CEFACT to actively maintain and support ebXML.  Anything less indicates that in fact there is not a real commitment, and ebXML work must necessarily be done elsewhere where an organization is willing to make such commitments.

Mark Crawford
Vice Chair - OASIS UBL TC & Chair Naming and Design Rules Subcommittee
Chair - UN/CEFACT XML Syntax Working Group
Editor - UN/CEFACT Core Components