RE: [ebxml-dev] MSH vs BSI acknowledgement messages

Suresh,

	I agree, it would be superfluous to send a Functional
Acknowledgement if a
business level acknowledgement will be returned immediately. The scenarios
where I've seen the FA used have a non-deterministic response time for
business level response messages. In these cases the FA serves as a
"checkpoint" acknowledgement. Here is an example time sequence showing
the
3 acknowledgements mentioned earlier:

t0___t1_t2_______t3____________________t4

where:
t0=time sender initiates transfer
t1=time first octet received
t2=Delivery Acknowledgement sent
t3=Functional Acknowledgement sent (validation results)
t4=Business Level Response Message sent

In this example the delta between t2 and t3 is influenced by the amount of
data being processed (e.g. a complex XML document of 75MB could take
several
minutes to process). The delta between t3 and t4 is again influenced by
the
amount of data being processed and complexity of processing with backend
applications.

Also noteworthy is the fact that the Functional Acknowledgement at t3 is
sent on a separate session from that used at t0.
The same is true for a Business Level Response Message.

Hope this make the scenario where FA's are used a bit clearer.

Regards,

Dick Brooks
B2B Integration and Cyber Security Consultant
http://www.tech-comm.com/dbc
Mobile:602-684-1484