RE: CSG Answers to Mark Crawford's Questions regarding the UN/CEFACT Position Statement on ebXML

Title: RE: CSG Answers to Mark Crawford's Questions regarding the UN/CEFACT Position Statement on ebXML

Thanks Klaus, these precisions are very helpful. However, if we take a concrete case, like the one that happened in BPSS in the first half of 2003.

The case is easy to understand, this is why I am replaying it here (keep me honest if there are some inncuracies):
UMM r12 has been published in the fall of 2002. Some people felt that BPSS needed to be immediately aligned with ebXML BPSS, since it was one of the design constraint for BPSS since its inception. So BPSS 1.01 was a subset of UMM r10 but BPSS 1.1 would not have been a subset of BPSS r12. Kind of a classic problem in software engineering. I think in Microsoft technology lingo this is often refered as DLL hell.

The editorial BPSS team had identified that the alignment with UMM r12 was possible (I had myself wrote a paper going into this direction in the summer of 2002) but it would break the existing ebXML 2.0 architecture or would have required a significant rework of the architecture for CPP/A and maybe even with implications in RegRep.

What are the mechanisms in place, if the JCC does not exist anymore and UN/CEFACT and OASIS do not talk to each other, to resolve this kind of issue? What committee will decide what is possible to do? UN/CEFACT, OASIS?

What about other specs that are intended to be linked to the BCF framework? Does UN/CEFACT imposes the same constraints on BPEL, WS-I or even maybe WS-CHOR?

Could you explain us in concrete terms what would you, the TMG or UN/CEFACT have done in this instance? Break the ebXML archtitecture or break the UMM / BPSS constraint?

Thanks in advance for your response,

truly yours,

Jean-Jacques
tel: 425-649-6584