On Page 18 of the ebXML Business Process Specification Schema it gives an example of a notification transaction

Title: On Page 18 of the ebXML Business Process Specification Schema it gives an example of a notification transaction

 On Page 18 of the ebXML Business Process Specification Schema it gives an example of a notification transaction.  I notice that in this depiction with one document flow, lines numbered 699 to 700 that there is Responding business element named RespondingBusinessActivity with attribute “name”= to “”.  Prior to this there was a RequestingBusinessActivity  element mentioned.  I understand this, what escapes me is the fact that both exist within the BusinessTransaction element declaration as child elements (see line 694 paired with 701).  A further example of this, on page 22 of the same specification document there is an example that shows a business transaction with one request and two possible responses, a success and failure.  Now once again, there is the RequestingBusinessActivity and RespondingBusinessActivity elements declared as children of BusinessTransaction (line 819 and line 844).

Now I assume that there is some time saving going on by depicting both sides of the BusinessTransaction, requesting and responding roles.  So, in effect, I could (from the RequestingBusinessActivity side) have as my notification transaction as thus:

<BusinessTransaction name="Notify of advanceshipment">

<RequestingBusinessActivity name="">

<DocumentEnvelope

BusinessDocument name="ASN"/>

</RequestingBusinessActivity>

</BusinessTransaction>

example taken from page 18.

Or, is the RespondingBusinessActivity component a “mapping” of the Responding business activity’s response format, as required AND specified by the Requesting side of the transaction.  In this example, no response is required.

I ask the same of the subsequent example on page 22, lines numbered 819 through to and including 844.  I thought the BusinessTransaction Element would finish its declaration after line 834, from the RequestingBusiness perspective, or, as I summise, and as is illustrated on page 18, another specification of the format for responding to this BusinessTransaction declared from line 835 to 843 inclusive.

Or is it simply a way of saving time, by OASIS, to chuck both the Request and Response in the same declaration.

Thank you for your help.

Dean Hemopo.