Re: [Fwd: Re: [xml-dev] Edi complexity, does ebxml really reduce it?]

Duane,

I agree with you on all except one minor point, which I must clarify so as

not to perpetuate a misunderstanding.  EDI is not specifically an "ASCII"
format for data.  X12 EDI only specifies the graphical character set.  It
can, and often is, rendered in character encodings other than ASCII, such
as EBCDIC.  For UN/EDIFACT, "the 7-bit codes in the basic ISO 646 standard

shall be used, unless the corresponding 8-bit codes in ISO 6947 and 8859
or
other bit codes are specifically agreed between the interchanging
partners."  That from ISO 9735 V2, and I doubt that V4 is much different.

Cheers,

Mike