Subject: Re: ebxml challenges...

Jean-Luc Champion wrote:

> Hi Stephen,
>
> Not sure US Government is continuing with ANSI-X12.

I am certain that there are US federal agencies that are still using
ANSI-X12 EDI, and will continue to do so for probably a very long time.

> You probably received the mail from Mark Crawford saying :
>
> [... Actually, using 11179 and CCTS will standardize the construct of the
> data element names as well as the metadata.  The key is using those two ISO
> standards (yes ccts is ISO 15000-5 (Draft)) in conjunction with a recognized
> international standards body who maintains the vocabulary.  UN/CEFACT TBG is
> beginning to build that vocabulary, and many standards bodies - including
> UBL - have committed to submitting their 11179/CCTS vocabularies to help
> that effort.  I should also mention that many agencies in the US Government,
> as well as other governments have already committed to using this new
> approach. ]
>
> The last sentence shows clearely the US Gov commitement to go with
> ebXML/CCTS, being ISO 15000-5 TS very soon.

Please note that there is no such thing as a "US Gov commitment" to
ebXML/CCTS - such a commitment would have to be in the form of a mandate
or law. When people speak in terms of this, they are referring to the
fact that there are *some* US federal agencies that are utilizing ebXML,
and there are *some* US federal agencies that are also utilizing the
Core Components data modeling methodology on projects. What I want to
emphasize is that this should not be taken to mean that there is an
adoption of either/both of these on what most/all people would, in
general, consider to be a "grand scale".

Kind Regards,
Joe Chiusano
Booz | Allen | Hamilton
Strategy and Technology Consultants to the World