RE: [ebxml-dev] ebXML core components derivation by restriction

Joe, Bryan,

In an early draft of the Core Component spec both extension and
restriction (from CC to BIE) were allowed. The CC team discussed this
and concluded it to be undesirable. One could remove all properties of
an ACC and replace them by entirely different ones, loosing all
relationship between the BIE's that were based on the same CC (and
effectively loosing CC-BIE relationship). Note that the "based on"
relationship between CC's and BIE's is not in the first place meant for
technical XML schema production, but to enable semantic interoperability
between systems that endorse the standard.

The team assessed two alternatives: derivation by extension and
derivation by restriction. Derivation by extension (the UML
"Specialization" association) would:
1. Lead to empty CC's, the overlap between BIE's in the various very
diverse contexts is too little to find properties that are common to all
2. Would scatter the BIE-definitions and structures over all specific
context-specific implementations, making it impossible to find
similarities that would allow communication between those
implementations. Harmonisation (why the CC-effort was started in the
first place) would be practically impossible.

So the team decided to choose the other option: derivation by
restriction. This enforces implementors to submit new BIE's as CC's at a
higher level of abstraction so they can be reused in other contexts. So
implementation is not a one-way street. Feed back from implementors to
be used by other implementors is built in in the spec!

Note that BIE properties are not copied to the CC level as such. They
are generalized for that purpose. E.g. a BBIE called  EANUCC_ Item.
Identifier becomes a more generic Item. Identifier at BCC level. Note
also that document assembly is outside the scope of CCTS, so we are not
combining all parts of "orders" and "despatch advices" of all industries
in a super-order or super despatch advice.

Derivation by restriction is imho even easier to implement than
derivation by extension. Restriction is defined as a restriction on
semantical definition and restriction on the structure (properties,
attributes, facets). A constraint rule (in OCL, Business Rule Language,
first order logic or any XML based implementation of that) in
combination with the CC gives you the BIE. Extension would be more
complex: you need new definitions and new structures, which needs
creativity.

The main problem is that object oriented people were not brought up this
way.

Fred