Re: [ebxml-dev] ebXML core components derivation by restriction

Fred:

Would this not be served by an iterative process according to the CCTS
methodology itself?  For example, a Health Insurance Policy Contract is
a specialized (in context(s)) instance of the type Contract, in itself a
specialization of "Agreement".  Through iterative revision, the high
level "contract" should have a notion of "type" with an enumerated list.
 The enumerated list may be conditionally validated [1] against other
qualifiers (something that XML schema cannot currently do) and "Health
Insurance Policy" is merely a type of contract.

CCTS needs a critical mass of industry adoption to test the theories
IMO.  In general, I do believe the inheritance model does work, although
it is possible there are quagmires.

Duane Nickull

[1] Conditionally validation involves a two level hierarchic
relationship. For instance, if you have an object called "LivingEntity"
and there is an attribute "type" with an enumerated list and the object
contains another object called "Color" with an enumerated list of
colors, certain colors are valid or invalid dependent on the attribute
value of the LivingEntity@type value.  A color of "green" may be valid
for Living Entity of type "plant" or "fish" but not "mammal".
This can be rectified by building a better object model on most cases.
 Like all object models, most are dependent on the authors view of the
domain.

--
Senior Standards Strategist
Adobe Systems, Inc.