RE: Naming conventions

Hello Cristiano,

Your approach (having a file interface between MSH and back-end
applications) is very common and makes a lot of sense.  It is also by far
the easiest way for backend systems to integrate with an MSH.  Oracle B2B
also uses file names to store message metadata, very much like what you are
proposing:
http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/integration/b2b/pdf/B2B_TN_010_Tra
nsport_File_FTP_Internal.pdf

However, there is a lot of meta-information in an ebXML message header to
store in a file name. File names have (OS-specific) length limitations, and
ebMS 3.0 has even more and extensible metadata (message properties), which
the back-end application may want to process too. And what to do if there is
more than one payload in a single message? The backend application will want
to know which documents were received (or are to be sent as) a single
message. In those cases, an XML file that references those files/attachments
is an easy way to store this information.  Oracle's attachment support uses
an XML interface, last time I checked.

In various projects I've used the Axway ebMS product that also has such an
XML interface. We've developed a Python library that uses this XML message
interface (invisibly to the user) and which makes writing simple clients or
servers that interface using ebMS as easy as writing any other script ...

Pim

P.S. I'm copying this message to ebXML-Dev, as other developers may be
interested ..