PEPPOL and ebXML opportunities - Call for participation at PEPPOL conference

Dear ebXML community,

I have once in a while been posting about PEPPOL (Pan European Public Procurement Online). To put it shortly: It is a 30 million Euro project with participation from 14 countries (with the recent enlargement). The project started May 2008 and will end in November 2011. Our goal is to make it possible for the 23 million SME's in Europe to exchange business documents with any public sector organization in the EU. Our focus is on eProcurement (pre-award and post-award) however - our infrastructure is content neutral and the European focus is just a matter priority for the sponsors (The European Commission).

The model that we are promoting is basically a four corner service provider model. This implies that an SME should connect to the infrastructure through a service provider and that all service providers are connected to each other through the PEPPOL infrastructure. The interconnection between service providers is regulated by a mulitlateral peering agreement and trust between service providers is ensured through the issuance of a certificate to compliant service providers.

So why is this relevant to the ebXML community?
-----------------------------
The heart of the PEPPOL Infrastructure is two service meta data interfaces (basically an interface to a registry). Behind this interface could be an ebXML registry or an UDDI registry. Current specifications for these interfaces are published here: http://www.peppol.eu/Work_packages/wp8-Solutions%20architecture%2C%20design%20and%20validation/specifications/v0-9-specifications/
The idea behind the infrastructure is also that different transport protocols can be used. The first transport that we have introduced is the START specification (Secure Trusted Asynchronous Reliable Transport (START) 0.9) but any transport protocol could be used by service providers (e.g. ebMS or even a proprietary protocol).

I believe that there is an opportunity for the ebXML community to piggyback on the trust set-up and the governance set-up that we are implementing as part of PEPPOL. I would therefore like to invite all interested service providers and middleware suppliers from the ebXML community to our next conference in Copenhagen on October 21th - 23nd. Participation is free of charge.

For more information about the conference and the program see: http://www.peppol.eu/News/events-1/peppol-innovation-conference
You may register here: http://spreadsheets.google.com/a/peppolinfrastructure.com/viewform?formkey=dGpHM3QtRGpQNnJQZU5jekRwXzBmckE6MA.

Who should attend?
-----------------------------
You should attend if you have an interest in supporting post-award processes and fall into one of the following categories:
·         Service provider (E.g. Bank, VAN, eProcurement solution provider),
·         Provider of ERP and business software
·         Provider of Middleware solutions
·         Government organization
·         Large private companies with many cross-border transactions

Would you like to exhibit or co-sponsor?

The conference:
-----------------------------
In overview the conference is structured in the following way:

*       PEPPOL executive day - Wednesday October 21st
*       PEPPOL architecture day - Thursday October 22nd
*       PEPPOL Middleware demonstrations and Programmers "Hands-on" - Friday October 23rd

More information:
-----------------------------
For more information about the PEPPOL project see: http://www.peppol.eu
For more information about the conference and the program see: http://www.peppol.eu/News/events-1/peppol-innovation-conference

You may register here http://spreadsheets.google.com/a/peppolinfrastructure.com/viewform?formkey=dGpHM3QtRGpQNnJQZU5jekRwXzBmckE6MA..

Please forward this invitation to your colleagues and relevant public and private sector organizations in your country.

I look forward to welcoming you in Copenhagen

Best regards Mikkel

Mikkel Hippe Brun
Danish National IT and Telecom Agency
@hippebrun