Subject: Re: [ebxml-dev] PEPPOL and ebXML opportunities - Call for
participation at PEPPOL conference
From: Mikkel Hippe Brun <mhb@schemaworks.com>
Date: Thu, October 01, 2009 5:37 pm
To: Pim van der Eijk <lists@sonnenglanz.net>
Cc: Farrukh Najmi <farrukh@wellfleetsoftware.com>,
ebxml-dev@lists.ebxml.org

Hi Pim,

I am sorry about my incomplete previous post. I got distracted and
pushed the send button. Let me try again.

You put it very clearly. It is the exact same reasoning that we have
been through. I must admit that we in Denmark did not fully understand
that the differences in business requirements expressed by SME's and
the business requirements expressed by large organizations cannot be
solved by technology alone. We did a SOAP-2-SMTP binding but as you
say even reliable messaging has a timeout if the "baker" never opens
his laptop. Large organizations are very reluctant to support an
otherwise reliable protocol but with an unreliable business partner
(in the sense that you never know when he will turn on his PC).

So what is the solution to this in PEPPOL?

PEPPOL is basically a Service Provider model. A Service Provider may
use any protocol to connect to his customers. One standard protocol
would be better, but that is a different story. So we have a strong
focus on making it easy to interconnect service providers and we do
not want to be disruptive by breaking their existing business models.

What about the SME's? I realize that just interconnecting service
providers does not make it any easier for an SME to connect. Service
providers have traditionally been protecting their markets by
supporting many protocols with an effecitve lock-in effect. In PEPPOL
we have addressed this by profiling WS-Transfer in a profile we call
LIME*. This is a protocol that can be implemented using HTTP and TLS -
the tools that the Python (etc.) communities are familiar with.
Similar to the ebMS 3.0 pull feature, but super lightweight. The
challenge is to pursuade the service providers to offer such a
standardized lightweight protocol that will make it easier to change
service provider and thus create greater competition. It is not really
in their interest. Demand has to come from customers. We have to
engage the suppliers of business software in this. "Off the shelf"
business software should support such a protocol.

Some years ago I would have argued that we do not need service
providers in order to do eBusiness. The Danish infrastructure is an
example of this approach. The result has been that the public sector
and larger private organizations can send and receive eInvoices. SME's
can only sende eInvoices because larger organizations will not send to
SMTP endpoints. But effectively this model is also a service provider
model. Even SMTP servers are offered as a service - it is just your
ISP serving you.

I am expecting that we with the PEPOL approach will see a lightweight
protocol being a standard offering from service providers. It could
even be offered by ISP's just like they offer flat rate use of SMTP as
part of your Internet subscription. It is not many years ago that we
paid for these services.

Best regards Mikkel

--
Venlig hilsen Mikkel