Subject: [ebxml-mktg-sc] fwd: XML Report for Wednesday, August 28, 2002

Team,

It's time we really get after all this FUD here.

The ebXML stack has already shown interoperability
in these environments - BizTalk and ebXML, and more.

Clearly XML Report is another channel we need to
get the message out to.

Who is our contact point at XML Report?  We should
do an article for the next issue - on ebXML Messaging.

Thanks, DW.
Message text written by INTERNET:XMLReportHelp@101communications-news.com

Web Services

IBM, Microsoft demo links Web services apps
By Jack Vaughan

At the XML Web Services One conference in Boston, IBM and Microsoft
yesterday demonstrated Web services-based interoperability between
IBM’s WebSphere and Microsoft’s .NET using a stock trading
application as a prototype example. Both companies also this week
made available updates to their respective Web services
developer kits.

The Boston demo is important because it addresses one of the
troublesome integration issues of the day. Much of the interest
in Web services recently evident among application development
managers stems from a desire to effectively bridge .NET and
Java applications.

The demonstration shows the fruits of recent standards efforts
to describe Web services security mechanisms, said Robert Suttor,
director, e-Business Standards Strategy at IBM. It shows digital
certificates being used in an interoperable way that is new to
Web services, added Suttor.

A recent series of Web services-related standards proposals
sponsored by IBM, Microsoft and others have clearly raised the
hackles of Sun Microsystems, the originator of Java. Sun reps
have complained that the company was not invited early-on to
participate in several of these efforts. But Sun was among those
that endorsed a recent Web services security proposal backed by
IBM, Microsoft and others, said IBM’s Suttor. [In a related move,
IBM announced at the XML Web Services conference that it has put
its long-germinating UDDI Web services directory effort in the
hands of the Oasis standards group.]

There are various values to IBM’s recent relationships with
Microsoft, admits Suttor. If you look at customers of a
reasonable size, there will be software from a number of
companies onsite. .NET is going to be around -- so is Java,
he noted.

If we can connect the .NET platform with the Java platform,
that is showing something, added Suttor.

For the rest of the story, please
go to http://www.adtmag.com/article.asp?id=6646
<