Subject: [ebxml-mktg-sc] FW: ebXML Marketing and MSH

-----Original Message-----
From: Dorris Tai [mailto:cwtai@cecid.hku.hk]
Sent: Monday, September 09, 2002 3:05 AM
To: carol.geyer@oasis-open.org
Cc: Thomas Lee; Dorris Tai
Subject: ebXML Marketing and MSH

Dear Carol,

Thank you for the update on the latest ebXML marketing plan. I would
also like to keep you posted on a couple of things CECID is working on
in terms of helping promote ebXML and its adoption. They are not as
visionary or ambitious as the ebXML.org's marketing effort, but we
hope ours can be a contribution.

First, CECID is planning to launch a new website (www.freebxml.org) on
Sept 13. The mission of freebXML is to foster the development and
adoption of ebXML and related technology through software and
experience sharing. It strives to become a centralized site for ebXML
project collaborations as more ebXML specifications are becoming
available. The focus is on implementation of these ebxml specs and
standards. Hence, participants do not create competing specifications
to existing specs and standards. I have attached the website FAQ with
further details on the purpose of this website and the list of current
Steering Committee members. Many of these members are active ebXML
evangelists also involved in OASIS' projects. Since we want to keep
the administrative overhead minimal as freebxml is pretty much a
'grassroot' movement, you will find the organizational structure very
simple and it has no formal governance.

www.freebxml.org/index.php will be available for you to preview in the
next couple of days. Your comments are most welcomed!

Secondly, to add momentum to the launch of freebmxl.org, CECID is
donating the source code of an ebXML MSH implementation as a 'free'
project to the development community. This MSH implementation (coined
Hermes) is in compliance with the new OASIS' MSH standard and will be
available for free download at freebxml.org.

Finally, two press releases announcing the above will be ready on Sept
13. I wonder if you could help me send them to OASIS members and the
ebxml-jmt please?

If you have any questions or comments, please do not hesitate to
contact me.

Best Regards,
Dorris

******************************
Dorris Tai
Business Manager
Center for E-Commerce Infrastructure Development (CECID)
Dept. of Computer Science & Information Systems
The University of Hong Kong
Tel: +852 2859 2818
Fax: +852 2547 4611

=====================

Frequently Asked Questions

1.	What is the freebXML.org initiative?
2.	Why was freebXML.org created?
3.	What is the difference between freebXML.org and other ebXML
initiatives?
4.	Is freebXML.org going to compete with vendor products?
5.	freebXML.org encourages the sharing of ‘free’ code, but why are
commercial/proprietary vendors/products listed on this site?
6.	How do I join freebXML.org?
7.	What is expected from users/developers of freebXML.org?
8.	What are the freebXML.org projects?
9.	How can I contribute to freebXML.org and its projects?
10.	How can I start a new open-source software project at
freebXML.org?

Answers

What is the freebXML.org initiative?
freebXML.org aims to foster the development and adoption of ebXML and
related technology through software and experience sharing. It
provides a centralized site for the sharing of ‘free’ ebXML code and
applications as well as development and deployment experience.

Why was freebXML.org created?
freebXML.org was created to provide a centralized site for ebXML
project collaborations as more ebXML specifications are becoming
available. Our vision is to create a virtual community, dedicated to
ebXML and related technology, to facilitate the sharing of code,
applications and experience among developers and users.

What is the difference between freebXML.org and other ebXML
initiatives?
Other ebXML initiatives such as OASIS (www.oasis-open.org and
www.ebxml.org) define and create ebXML specifications and standards to
enable e-commerce. freebXML.org’s focus is on implementations of these
ebXML Specifications/Standards. Thus, participants of freebXML.org do
not create competing specifications to existing ebXML
Specifications/Standards. Rather, they create and collaborate on
projects based on these specifications.

Is freebXML.org going to compete with vendor products?
No, freebXML.org does not compete with software vendors. On the
contrary, we believe open-source projects accelerate product
development cycles and spur the creation of a diverse range of
products and services that meet market needs. Open-source projects are
good driving forces behind technology adoption.

freebXML.org encourages open-source projects, but why are
commercial/proprietary vendors/products listed on this site?
One of freebXML.org’s goals is to drive the adoption of ebXML. Sharing
code and binaries is a good way to spur the creation of a variety of
ebXML products and services. At the same time, the availability of
commercial products/services not only meets the immediate needs of
adopters, but also demonstrates the readiness of ebXML for the
marketplace. Hence, vendors are a driving force of ebXML adoption.

How do I join freebXML.org?
To access freebXML.org Website, no membership is required. Some
projects may ask users/developers to fill out a form online to help
keep track of the download. All access and download privileges are
free.

What is expected from users/developers of freebXML.org?
Users/developers are expected to observe the types of free licenses of
the projects. They should also practice proper ‘netiquettes’.

What are the freebXML.org projects?
Current projects at freebXML.org can be found in
http://www.freebxml.org/projects.

How can I contribute to freebXML.org and its projects?
Users/developers are encouraged to download and carry on further
development of the projects. Users/developers can subscribe to
individual project development mailing lists and contribute by
providing feedback, such as bug or problem reports, as well as patches
to the list.

How can I start a new open-source software project at freebXML.org?
Developers interested in starting a new open-source software project
at freebXML.org can email their proposals to freebxml@yahoogroups.com.
Our Technical Coordinator will follow up with the sender on the
proposal.

=====================
Chair:
David Cheung, Center for E-Commerce Infrastructure Development
(CECID), The University of Hong Kong

Co-Chair:
TBD

Members:
Suresh Damodaran, Sterling Commerce
Jasmine Jang, Korea Institute for Electronic Commerce
Somnuk Keretho, Kasetsart University
Francis Lau, The University of Hong Kong
Thomas Lee, Center for E-Commerce Infrastructure Development
Matt Mackenzie, XML Global
Dale Moberg, Cyclone Commerce
Hima Mukkamala, Sybase
Farrukh Najmi, Sun Microsystems
Nikola Stojanovic, MetaSpaces Consulting

Technical Coordinator: Patrick Yee, Center for E-Commerce
Infrastructure Development
Secretary: Dorris Tai, Center for E-Commerce Infrastructure
Development