ebxml-mktg message

Subject: [ebxml-mktg] Open standards and ebXML (Computerworld)

This was a nice comment about open standards generally and ebXML specifically --

http://www.computerworld.com/managementtopics/ebusiness/story/0,10801,71981,00.html

Open Rules for E-Business
By Nicholas Petreley
June 17, 2002

"... Rule No. 1:  Keep an "open" mind. ... face the fact that proprietary solutions are on their way out and get with open standards and open source ...
... Rule No. 2:  Ignore technology endorsements by large companies. There was a time when you could make business decisions based only on the fact that IBM and Microsoft announced a partnership. On second thought, considering what happened to OS/2, perhaps even that memory is an illusion. Regardless, forget what vendors say about e-business technologies and commit to open standards. Keep your eye on ebXML, for example (www.ebxml.org).
... Rule No. 3:  Hire that security guru now, ..."

IBM has made valuable contributions to ebXML, and I still have hope that Microsoft will as well.  Nevertheless it is pleasing to see that the writer understands our core value proposition: a neutral, lock-in free standard set.  Thanks to Alan Kotok and David Webber for pointing out this article.    JBC

~ James Bryce Clark
~ VP and General Counsel, McLure-Moynihan Inc.   www.mmiec.com
~ Chair, US ABA Business Law Subcommittee on Electronic Commerce
~ www.abanet.org/buslaw/cyber/ecommerce/ecommerce.html
~ 1 818 597 9475   jamie.clark@mmiec.com   jbc@lawyer.com
~ This message is neither legal advice nor a binding signature.  Ask me why.