ebxml-mktg message

Subject: [ebxml-mktg] Webservices revisited.

I wrote on this topic the other week so I was very gratified to
see that my vision of webservices as "Realtime EDI"
equivalents has been echoed here.

Of course what this gentleman is failing to realize is that
ebXML provides robust interchange management
already.

But then we can educate him!

Separating the interactive - non-critical information
exchanges into a separate layer that can
operate independently - and service a range of users
is a good way to manage both needs - by playing to
the strengths of each technology.

Thanks, DW.
Transaction Processing

Interaction the killer app for Web services?
By Rich Seeley

Web services needs a "killer app" to move beyond internal
integration, argues Nelson Carbonell.

"Right now," he said, "you have Web services and you have companies
that are providing Web services. You read about them and technical
people are excited about them, but the missing element is what do
you do with these Web services? We think interaction is the killer
app for Web services."

Carbonell, president and CEO of Cysive Inc., Reston, Va., which
unveiled its new interactive server technology at Internet World
in New York this week, said it is time for Internet transaction
applications to move beyond selling t-shirts.

"I always say that the Internet looks like it was designed for
the buy-a-t-shirt transaction," he said. "It doesn't do very well
for the get-a-mortgage transaction. Something that takes longer
than 30 seconds to do kind of falls apart."

What is needed, in Carbonell's view, are Web services
interaction applications that can handle transactions that may
take hours, days, weeks or even a month. An interaction tier
links Web services into a single application for end users
working from a variety of interfaces, he explained, on devices
ranging from a PC or PDA to a home telephone. In addition, he
said, Cysive provides patented "follow-on" technology so that
if in the midst of a lengthy banking transaction users move
from pressing buttons on a telephone to logging in with a PC
Web browser, they don't have to start over.

"You reach a point where the phone is not going to be a very good
user interface," Carbonell explained. "What we allow you to do is
log on through a browser and pick up where they left off. So it
follows you from one channel to another because as far as the
interaction tier is concerned, that's just one transaction going
on. The fact that you started with voice and then went another
way, that's your choice."

Carbonell, who lists First Union, Fleet and Chase among his
company's banking customers, said the interaction server allows
Web services applications to operate the way the
"real world" works.

"We've taken the interaction tier and we're solving the basic
problem, which is that I have applications that have to go out
and be able to talk to 'n' number of user environments, whether
that be devices or through channels like e-mail," he said. "This
interaction tier will allow us to do things that are in line with
how things work in the real world."

For the rest of the story, please
go to http://www.adtmag.com/article.asp?id=6800
<