ebxml-mktg message

Subject: RE: [ebxml-mktg] ebXML and worldtrade.

David, et al.

Good article.  One of the key drivers behind the growth of capitalism in the developing world is the use of micro-credit, small loans to small businesses (e.g., artisans and farmers) who use the funds to buy raw materials and equipment.  Institutions such as the Grameen Bank in Bangladesh (http://www.grameen-info.org/) and many others that use Grameen as a model have had remarkable success, including lower than average default rates.

I would wager that an initiative that combines micro-credit with the ebXML framework, backed by relevant UN agencies, would have a good chance for success.  In this case, e-business based on ebXML could help open up markets and supply chains that the local business people (many of whom are women, especially in the poorest countries) could exploit.

Alan Kotok
AlanKotok@cs.com
http://www.technewslit.com/
Editor, <E-Business*Standards*Today/>, http://www.disa.org/dailywire/