Subject: RE: nick some brief action required on your part to resolve... thanks,rik

Nick, i believe it is ready to implement. i also believe poc will believe
that next week. as to what poc has to implement, is completely poc's
decision, unless the stc decides to get involved.... which they should not.
you have a tiger by the tail and everyone should leave you and your team
alone to do the job.... so don't take my comments as negative or non
supportive.. i have seen you pull off two miracles, the historic poc stuff,
and i am sure i will see it again. at this point i would be thinking
KISS........ that would be my focus to guarantee success.... go get them....
and good luck (luck has nothing to do with it)   best regards, rik

-----Original Message-----
From: Nicholas Kassem [mailto:Nick.Kassem@eng.sun.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 12, 2000 1:39 PM
To: Rik Drummond; shima@rp.open.cs.fujitsu.co.jp
Cc: ebxml-Poc
Subject: Re: nick some brief action required on your part to resolve...
thanks, rik

Dear POCers,

Frankly this is a storm in a tea cup from my pov. The main issue is the
lack of consensus within POC wrt RM (as well as security and error
handling). My hope is that we can build up this consensus in our f2f next
week. We still need to see a use-case tabled for RM and for there to be a
thorough review of the spec itself *within* POC. The goal is to have an
*interoperable* RM. Most of us know how to build reliable messaging so
that's not the issue.

As an aside but equally important - Rik, you need to understand that just
because a WG claims they have a spec does not mandate the POC to implement
that spec and I am not referring to the RM spec per.se. (frankly it's one
of the better ones I have seen). Clearly the POC can't go off and write a
spec, implement it and claim ebXML conformance. That would be ridiculous.
But it can most certainly choose not to implement a spec that is very much
a work-in-progress.

I have also observed statements along the lines, "but this is good enough
for now for POC to implement". Seems to me that this is rather
presumptuous. I think you should allow the POC participants to make the
determination of  what is easy, meaningful or useful to build. After all
it's the POC participants spending the time and *resources*. We are not
here simply to tackle "easy" problems nor are we pre-occupied with finding
paths of least resistance. We need to confront the tough requirements and
deal with them in a meaningful and collegial manner.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Nick

p.s. I have just seen draft .21d of the TRP spec where error handling, RM
and security is being pulled together. When will this be public ? One can
not tackle RM (in a comprehensive manner, IMHO) in isolation from Error
handling and the rest of MS.