Subject: RE: ebXML PoC -- feedback to working groups

There are still problems when using HTTP, servlets,
and some available APIs. In order to interoperate
I had to add an additional header for the MIME-entity
in the HTTP PDU. Also, when processing, I had to ignore
the real MIME-entity header (which sometimes did not
even have a content-type of "multipart/related" !!)
in order to find the right MIME body parts. So the actual
bits on the wire, as seen by a sniffer for example,
would not match the ebXML packaging.

I hope that we can get this issue
thoroughly resolved by the
next POC. I do not think it is a problem with the
spec as long as we continue to follow the IETF
RFCs on the layout for HTTP.

But there definitely is a problem for implementations
that impact interoperability. It is not a new problem,
however. Maybe the bindings section needs a stronger
warning on the problem if it is not there already.

One answer is to reexamine the servlet IO interface
and work out a way that the sharing of the IO between
web server and servlet is less subject to confusion.
What happens is that the web server needs to read the
MIME entity's headers and so advances the stream
past the headers. If the servlet then just uses the stream
reference, it will miss the real headers (which are stored
on request properties ). It would be nice to make a new
inputstream class that could take the stored header data
and prepend it to the other input stream, resulting in
an input stream suitable to feed directly to a MIME
multipart parser.