Subject: Re: Negotiation problem

Marty,

Imposing the human element into the equation sure would make life a heck of
a lot easier for us software architects :-)

Seriously, there should at least be an action plan for addressing the
automated negotiation process.  Preliminary explorations by my team into
this particular area brought us to the conclusion that we would still need
human intervention for even the simplest contract unless there was
considerable work done to define a standard protocol for CPA negotiation, so
that vendor implementations always come up with the same contract given the
same input.  The CPP structure would actually be redefined during the
process of building this negotiation protocol for the simple reason that a
CPP has to be rich enough to allow the negotiation tool to make the same
decisions a human would make - which is hard because a human can sense small
yet signifigant detail such as "Who holds the upper hand in this
negotiation?" or "How much can I go over my budget for this transaction?
How important is it that I obtain these <thing(s)>?".

Cheers,

Matthew MacKenzie
XMLGlobal
<<| message from: Martin W Sachs <mwsachs@us.ibm.com> |>>