Subject: RE: Comments on Vienna spec 0.56

Dimitri,
Plse don't get me wrong, I do see hudge business opportunities when Product
Catalog's are sent/shared but especially integrated into the business
operating systems within company's properly.
(There's nothing worse than trying to order a CD from a catalog to find out
the catalog is out of date OR someone got the UPC/EAN product id's wrong so
the customer (which is why we're all here) ends up with a CD Player ! -
Unless you wanted a CD player and only get charged the CD price !)

In the previous emails, I was really struggling with what the business
process around a catalog exchange could be. IE. I'm a business person and
what's the business problem I'm dealing with, not the technical service
solution. If you get my meaning.

Let's take a busines approach to this ..... Let me throw out something here
to see if maybe this works. Again if you can help me understand the catalog
exchange process business drivers a bit better then please jump in.
How about as in the current drop ship model there is regular reporting of
available-to-promise inventory, there can also be a regular business
notification process in the same line which does a regular reporting of
latest product catalog information; so the drop ship 'vendor' role has to
deal with some typical product life cycle things; style/seasonal changes,
amended digital image (which is really something traditional EDI is weak
on), or even (!!) catalog sharing for those massive catalogs, ...
Something like that ?

Dimitri, I do like Product Catalog's and I do deal with it every day in my
business but can you help me 'frame' a good business process angle you may
have had in mind. If the business angle above when added to the drop ship
scenario in Figure 2 makes sense then let's throw it into the mix. It's not
hard to add, and it actually complements the drop ship model quite nicely.

Does that make sense ?

Thanks
Dave