Subject: RE: UDDI

Matt/Waqar,

	Yep, designing interoperability as services is my choice. As Waqar pointed
out, first we need the two-way mapping and then provide these services which
reflect the mapping.

<soapbox>

	Knowing what we know now (;=]) there will be at least two registry
specifications - UDDI and the ebXML regrep. There could be more in the way.
Also we already have clients popping up from various vendors - Bow, IBM, MS
et al. We have to assume that all the registry specifications are developed
by smart people (I know the regrep has smart folks ;-)) and so each will
have it's own advantages. Which means, clients would like to use *all* of
them for different purposes.

	The ideal goal would be that the clients are registry agnostic - i.e. both
registries can handle both clients. So we need a UDDI personality service
layer for the ebXML regrep and an ebXML regrep personality layer/services
for the UDDI registry. Of course, the concept mapping will show the
translation capabilities, synergies and limitations (which could grow as
both the registries mature)

	We sure need to map stuff like the classification in the regrep and the
IdentifierBag and CategoryBag in UDDI. I would like to see a deliberate
matching of API and the data structures so that we know which goes *where*
and *why*. Inevitably there will be gaps and some assumptions, which we can
clarify with the designers like Farrukh and Scott N.

	Developing the services would involve working around the ebXML/SOAP issues
as well.

</soapbox>

	It will be worthwhile to start the UDDI-regrep concepts mapping and data
structure mapping so that we understand the similarities and differences. It
is possible this could raise uncomfortableness in some quarters, but we
cannot ignore the elephant(s) in the room ! If we can get a first cut by the
first week of December, this would help us at the press conference as well.
The UDDI Vs the RegRep question will be asked (by the press) and we need a
decent answer. I hope the answer is interoperability and co-operation.

	Matt/Waqar, if you folks can do the due diligence at the mapping, I could
try developing the interoperable services layer. I am almost thinking of a
decorator pattern where the native pass-thru while the hosted calls get
translated and transformed.

	On a related note, how would we know if a registry is UDDI ? The only way I
can think of is to send an ebXML message and if it throws out the message,
we know it is an UDDI registry !

	cheers and have a Happy Thanksgiving