Subject: RE: Security protocols for TRP

David,

	Couple of questions (Actually more !) :

	1.	Will the layers above the TRP (e.g.. Application layer) know that the
(received) message was signed and encrypted ?

	2.	On the flip side, I assume the layers above can specify the requirement
for encryption and signature when sending a message.

	3.	The major question is, at the receiving end, have the application layers
access to the certificate and other artifacts used in the MSH level
encryption and signature ?

		Just as a background, the registry security service could rely on the CN
from the certificate used in the security layer, for authentication. But if
the certificate is not visible, then the registry needs to add some more
requirements.

		Also for assuring integrity of the content, the registry needs the content
signed, which from your scenario, looks like a payload related issue. But if
you have step "1.5. Sign Payload", then we get the signature capability from
the message layer. (May be your Issue 2. pertains to the same question)

	4.	Also, how does the MSH know who is "acceptable" and who is
"unacceptable" ? It can know whether the signature passed or failed
(including expired certs) - but anything else is at the application layer,
which is not accesible to the MSH.

	5.	On the question of non-repudiation, does the MSH perform the persistence
or is it a function of the application ? Thinking this thru, if the app has
to do the (non-repudiation related) persistence, it also needs to get the
message as received and also the decrypted message. Am I making sense ?

	6.	The next one is, how does non-repudiation happen on the sending side ?

	Again, IMHO, we do have the luxury of not addressing all these issues in
this Phase.

cheers