Subject: RE: Review of thoughts on Ad Hoc Queries

-----Original Message-----
From:	Nieman, Scott [SMTP:Scott.Nieman@NorstanConsulting.com]
Sent:	Monday, January 08, 2001 10:17 PM
Subject:	RE: Review of thoughts on Ad Hoc Queries

<<<snip>>>
I don't see any significant technical difference in a custom query
syntax vs. constrained OQL or XPATH --- each string needs to be
parsed and mapped to the underlying query syntax used by a
given implementation.  It does not prescribe the implementation.
<<<snip>>> I don't execute the UML model, I map it to a
programming language...
<<<snip>>>

Thank you!!!!!

I was beginning to think that I was missing something, since I couldn't
understand why there seem to be so much serious debate over this issue,
frequently with more heat than light. I am encouraged to see that I was not
alone in my interpretation. The majority of the most vociferous arguments,
both pro and con each alternative, seem to have ignored this point.

In case anyone else still doesn't get it, let me repeat the main point:

The query syntax DOES NOT prescribe the implementation!

I don't think we can have a meaningful vote until everyone takes a deep
breath and lets this sink in.

OR - does anyone actually still believe that the syntax DOES prescribe the
implementation?

If so, please explain.

If not, lets refrain from arguments which imply that (for example)

OQL syntax implies an object database implementation
--or--
XPATH syntax implies a "native" XML database implementation
--or--
(whatever syntax) implies (whatever implementation)

Sorry to be so repetitive....

Joe Baran