Subject: RE: JSR-000093: JAXR - your opinions?

I think JAXR will complement the work being done in ebXML regrep.  I believe
the proper approach has been taken: have one group of people deal with open
wire formats to ensure interoperability; then have other groups who have
some interest in certain languages provide the bindings.  We would run into
problems if we had the same group try to tackle wire formats and language
bindings, because a particular language/platform/etc would be inadvertently
biased.

I believe the DOM confused things by trying to provide a large number of
bindings and ended up spec'ing to the least common denominator.  For
example, the Java bindings can't use method overloading because certain
scripting languages don't support it (getAttribute, getAttributeNS, argh!)
That opened the door to the JDOM people to make a proper binding to Java
that Java developers would find useful.

Alex

--
Alex Ceponkus