Subject: RE: JSR-000093: JAXR - your opinions?

Furthermore, I would like to say that say that this is a great effort and we
fully support it.  This effort promises to bridge the gap between registry
technologies and will allow clients to use registry technologies in a
consistent manner.  I would encourage everyone to fully support this effort
and make it successful.

Thanks,

Waqar Sadiq
Vitria Technologies

-----Original Message-----
From: Waqar Sadiq [mailto:wsadiq@vitria.com]
Sent: Friday, January 12, 2001 9:02 AM
To: 'Bob Sutor'; ebxml-regrep@lists.ebxml.org

I would like to pint out an important point that should here that should not
be overlooked.  While certainly there is a great participation from the
ebXML community in JAXR, JAXR is aspiring to be more neutral to the
underlying registry model.  The following paragraph from the JSR describes
its intent:

"This JSR requests the creation of the Java API for XML Registries 1.0
specification (JAXR). JAXR may be viewed as analogous to Java Naming and
Directory Interface (JNDI) but designed specifically for internet sharing of
XML-related business information."

Just like JNDI provides a consistent interface to various underlying  naming
and directory services, I would think that JAXR will also try provide
consistent client interfaces to other registries (such as UDDI).

So the correct way of looking at the relationship between JAXR and ebXML
RegRep is that the reference implementation of JAXR may include an
implementation of ebXML RegRep but then again it also may include a
reference impolementation of UDDI.  We will have to see how well this can be
achieved but this is/should be an important design goal of JAXR.

Waqar Sadiq
Vitria Technologies