Subject: RE: External ID draft

Thank you for this insight, Bob. It is nice to have more light than heat
directed upon this subject.

Sally

-----Original Message-----
From: Miller, Robert (GXS) [mailto:Robert.Miller@gxs.ge.com]
Sent: Monday, March 12, 2001 10:56 AM
To: Farrukh Najmi; David RR Webber
Cc: Farrukh Najmi; Yutaka Yoshida; ebxml-regrep@lists.ebxml.org

Good People,

As some folks have keenly observed, the Repository is where the 'data' is
stored.  The Registry is where the metadata about the data is stored.  But
in this thread, no one has observed that the 'data' may be metadata (in
which case the metadata is meta-metadata.)

Now if a Core Component is stored in the Registry as metadata, what's left
to store in the Repository?  'Nothing' comes to my mind.  And if 'nothing'
is stored in the Repository, and the Registry is storing the metadata about
the data in the Repository, we have "Much Ado About Nothing".  While this
might please the theater going crowd, it doesn't please the system
architect.

Cheers,
        Bob Miller