Subject: RE: External ID draft

Sandy,

I'm not sure I understand how your comments relate to my own.

Nor do I understand your comments regarding the separation of registry and
repository functions.  Perhaps that's because I haven't been following R&R
as closely as I had been.  In the early days of R&R, I argued very clearly
for the separation of Registry and Repository.  In fact, I suggested that a
Repository was approximately the network equivalent to a logical file system
on a typical computer.  In computing systems, there is typically a single
logical file system, dispersed across a set of (pseudo-) devices (E.g., UNIX
Network File System (NFS)) The logical file system doesn't know much about
what is stored within it  It provides create/read/write/delete services via
a logical identifier, and may restrict these services by accessor.  In the
internet equivalent, I suggested that a restricted 'read-only' accessor
might simply be provided a URI to the stored information.

I agree that the syntax and semantics of data stored in a Repository must be
made available.  This is 'metadata' related to the data stored in the
Repository, and so would properly reside in the Registry. For Core
Components, that means the Registry would need to store such things as
Ownership, Version, Pointer to XML Schema (or to whatever is used to define
the syntax and semantics of the stored data, and other sundry information
like dates, status, access constraints, etc.  Whether a set of Core
Components is stroed as one Repository entry or as several Repository
entriies should not be of particular interest to the Registry.  A
Registration Submitter may find it desirable to request some sort of index
to the data stored in the Repository (an Ontology).  To do so, it needs to
know what information is to be extracted/derived from the data as it is
stored, and how to extract/derive it.  That could be provided in a generic
fashion by providing both pointers to both an Ontology Schema and a Data
Schema, plus any supplemental derivation rules, or it could be provided in
specific fashion by providing a fixed set of ontologies and derivations.  My
understanding is that R&R has chosen the latter approach, but has provided
some minimal form of extension capability to address content such as Core
Components, which to date have not provided a well defined representation
structure for the metadata to be stored in the Repository.

And again, though I am behind on my reading of R&R specifications, it was my
understanding that the Query discussions were targeted at least at the
pre-selected ontologies, and possibly extended to (more expensive) queries
on the stored data itself.

Cheers,
            Bob