Subject: Comment on Issue 1

I believe that our maximization (I guess I should spell it with an "s"
rather than a "z" to reflect that I am operating in a United Nations rather
than a USA world) should permit the following:

Company A (LE) exchanges and processes EDIFACT messages with several other
LEs and BEs.  They have expressed their business functions (business
semantics?) within the EDIFACT messages.  They use a common set of codes
from the EDIFACT directory and have established an agreed to set of outside
codes.  There legal agreements are binding to directory releases.  They know
how to reconstruct prior messages, etc.

They have worked out all of the details to go from the output of their
translator to their application system.  Now an SME comes along and wants to
perform the same business process with Company A, however, they want to use
ebXML rather than EDIFACT.

Company A wants to maximize the interoperability of the ebXML messages with
their EDIFACT messages.  One must be able to express the business semantics
using ebXML to get the exact same meaning contained in the EDIFACT message;
the same code values, the same codes, the same legal protection, the same
archiving, etc.

If this is considered to be maximizing EDI interoperability, than its my
higher priority.  If this is what we mean by maximizing ebXML
interoperability then I'm for it.

Without this, Company A will have to develop the capability to exchange
ebXML messages with the SMEs which probably represent a large number of
entities for a small piece of their total business.

Part of the development will include a reconciliation of the differences
between the EDIFACT messages and the ebXML ones.  A non trivial task that
will grow over time.  I also consider this to be minimum scope not maximum.

DON