ebxml-stc message

Subject: FW: ebXML ARTICLE

All,

This is an interesting article that Carol Geyer has pointed us to. In my
mind it highlights in clear unambiguous terms why we must succeed and do it
quickly. Futhermore, it also helps us to recognize that we must resolve the
concerns/issues relative to CC and BP specifications quickly if ebXML hopes
to be at all relevant in the e-business space in the short and long term. We
just can not afford to spin wheels or go off into left field. What we
develop must be relevant NOW, implementable NOW, and understandable by the
non-technical, non-geeky business person, who must ultimately demand that
their ISV's incorporate the ebXML framework into their solutions. If the
business people can't understand it and see its relevance, they most
certainly won't make it a business requirement.

Rachel

|Just wanted to be sure you all saw the following:
|
|July 24, 2000
|InternetWeek
|"XML Standards: A Problem Of Physics"
http://www.internetwk.com/columns00/bit072400.htm

|There's an old physics problem that pits an irresistible force
|against an
|immovable object. What will happen, physicists wonder, when
|the two meet?
|
|Well, I don't know anything about physics, but I think the IT
|industry is
|preparing to test that old problem. The irresistible force: e-business
|technology. The immovable object: international standards.
|
|In two weeks, the ebXML standards group will meet in San Jose.
|The group,
|made up of representatives from the United Nations' CEFACT standards
|committees as well as the vendor-dominated OASIS industry
|consortium, is
|working on standards that will make XML data understandable across
|industries and international boundaries. The group plans to have XML
|messaging and business process specifications ready by the
|middle of next
|year...

|--Carol