ebxml-stc message

Subject: [Fwd: BPMI announcement timing, ebXML issues]

FYI

Duane

Ken,

I understand that people might think that BPMI.org is more marketing than
technology, at least today. Until we release the first draft for BPML, this
feeling will exist and there is nothing we can do to prevent it.

In the meantime, there are some critical concepts BPMI.org tried to promote,
like the need for different semantics between Collaborative Business
Processes and Enterprise Business Processes. This is the foundation for
BPMI.org and the reason why BPMI.org and ebXML should not overlap.
Nevertheless, until we manage to articulate this idea in the proper way,
many people will still think there is some overlap, and there is nothing we
can do to prevent it. It will take some time for BPMI.org to come up with
the right set of documents that will properly demonstrate the validity of
this concept and in the meantime, either people will have to trust us or
they will have to ignore us, but we are fine with this idea.

I discussed by email and over the phone with all the people from ebXML that
came to us with questions and comments. I really tried to made our point
clear at many occasions and invited XML Global to join BPMI.org several
times. I discussed with Duane over the phone and tried to expose why ebXML
should focus on Collaborative Business Processes and why BPMI.org is
legitimate at working on Enterprise Business Processes. At this point I
believe we made everything possible to foster a productive collaboration
between BPMI.org and ebXML.

I understand that the mere existence of BPMI.org will have a strong impact
on ebXML: it will force ebXML to decide wether they should focus on
Collaborative Business Processes or compete directly with BPMI.org. I
strongly believe that the first option could lead to outstanding results,
but there is so much we can do to prevent the second one.

When building the group of founders for BPMI.org, we commited to setup an
organization that would lead to tangible results as soon as possible. This
means that we took several decisions that other people might not agree with
(like using XML Schema upfront). We are fine with this idea as well.
BPMI.org does not try to convince everyone that everyone should endorse
BPML. BPMI.org tries to convince the largest audience that BPML is a good
way to manage the integration of e-Business processes in a vendor-agnostic
fashion and that the separation between Collaborative Business Processes and
Enterprise Business Processes is the only way to manage such an integration,
period.

The reason why we do not agree to postpone the BPMI.org press release by
several days is because we truly believe there is no reason of doing so.
Either ebXML will understand that Collaborative Business Processes and
Enterprise Business Processes should be modeled, deployed, and managed in
different ways and they will focus on Collaborative Business Processes. In
such a context, we will be glad to collaborate with this group and make sure
that BPMI.org and ebXML are fully interoperable (as explained in the press
release). Or ebXML will not see the difference and there is no point for any
collaboration. Or they will see the difference but decide to standardize the
two kinds of processes, and therefore BPMI.org and ebXML will compete on the
Enterprise Business Processes side. Whatever could be the outcome, I believe
tomorrow's press release will not harm either ebXML or BPMI.org and leave
the ebXML group free to decide what is best for them.

ebXML managed to create an outstanding group of supporters and I truly
believe in their ability to standardize the modeling, deployment, and
management of Collaborative Business Processes. Should they decide to focus
on that, we would be really glad to work as hard as possible to make sure
that BPMi.org's Enterprise Business Processes and ebXML's Collaborative
Business Processes interoperate in the best possible way. I will spend most
of next week explaining this point to the members of the ebXML group and I
would love our two organizations to come up with a joint press release at
the end of next week or during the week after. I really believe this to be
the best way to manage this situation.

Best regards

ig.