ebxml-stc message

Subject: Re: Special note for CPP members

Duane,

Considering the fact that you can count on one hand those
of us actively engaged in forwarding the progress of the CPP/CPA
specification work, without additional committed resources,
this additional work just simply is not achievable.

As Marty points out, a formal, normative algorithm for the
CPP->CPA formation is not an interoperability issue so long
as each vendor/implementation arrives at the same destination;
a CPA that conforms to the specification.

Cheers,

Chris

Duane Nickull wrote:

> Marty:
>
> I agree.  I also acknowledge that you have stated all along that the CPA
> negotiation is outside of the scope of your group.
>
> But...
>
> as people are starting to actually implement this type of software,
> they are seeing that this is potentially a make or break issue.
>
> Problem:
>
> You are right that it is very unlikely such an effort could be
> effectively started (nevermind completed) before May.  It will likely be
> totally dependant on the work your group is doing and probably cannot be
> effectively scoped beforehand.
>
> I think this issue is rather large therefore the Steering committee was
> notified.
>
> I don't have a solution either so let's hope someone out there is
> listening and has some spare time to ponder...
>
> Duane
>
> Martin W Sachs wrote:
> >
> > Duane,
> >
> > Since your last email was copied to the Steering Committee, I believe that
> > it is appropriate for the Steering committee to see my response in full
> > along with your original email (below).
> >
> > Regards,
> > Marty
> >
> > Martin W Sachs
> > 01/29/2001 06:48 PM
> >
> > To:   Duane Nickull <duane@xmlglobal.com>
> > cc:   "ebxml-tp@lists.ebxml.org" <ebxml-tp@lists.ebxml.org>
> > From: Martin W Sachs/Watson/IBM@IBMUS
> > Subject:  Re: Special note for CPP members  (Document link: Martin W.
> >       Sachs)
> >
> > Duane,
> >
> > The TP team discussed CPA generation from CPPs and concluded that the
> > generation process is outside the team's scope as initially constituted.
> > The team did set itself a requirement of defining the CPP and CPA such that
> > composition and negotiation are possible.
> >
> > There is a high level issue with your proposal.  I believe that a lot of
> > people will argue that defining the CPA composition process at that level
> > of detail is designing the implementation.  Since there is no
> > interoperability issue in the CPA composition software, it is not at all
> > clear that ebXML should define a standard that is for all practical
> > purposes software design in an area where there is no harm in two different
> > CPA composers doing it differently.  I believe that a decision to define a
> > composition standard should be reviewed at the highest levels of ebXML.
> >
> > If there are specific concerns that people designing CPA composers have,
> > they can bring these to the attention of the TP team.  It may be that
> > specific concerns can be addressed with specific changes to details of the
> > CPP/CPA specification without having to design a composer.
> >
> > In any case, this team only began its work in August, giving it just 5
> > months to settle on requirements and then complete a version 1.0 spec
> > (measured from August to the start of the QR cycles for April, a deadline
> [...]
begin:vcard
n:Ferris;Christopher
tel;cell:508-667-0402
tel;work:781-442-3063
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Sun Microsystems, Inc;XTC Advanced Development
version:2.1
email;internet:chris.ferris@east.sun.com
title:Sr. Staff Engineer
fn:Christopher Ferris