ebxml-stc message

Subject: Re: Special note for CPP members

Matthew,

Given that ebXML V2 begins after the April meeting (assuming ebXML
continues to exist at all), I think that the world can live with
hand-negotiated CPAs until May. :-)

Leaving aside the question of whether the TA document is supposed to set
requirements or describe architecture, it is quite clear that since the
deadline for getting V1 function approved is already past (see the current
QR schedule), the only possible description of composition and negotiation
in the near term is whatever non-normative appendix that the TP team can
come up with in the next couple of weeks.

Feel free to start a public to-do list.  However the best way for near-term
progress to be made on CPA composition and negotiation is for people with
specific concerns that they can articulate (as distinct from misplaced "the
team SHALL do" statements) is to post those concerns to the TP list so the
TP team can take them into account as it goes forward with the CPP-CPA
spec.  As I have said before, the first step is to make sure that the CPP
and CPA definitions permit the composition and negotiation to happen.

Regards,
Marty

Martin W. Sachs
IBM T. J. Watson Research Center
P. O. B. 704
Yorktown Hts, NY 10598
914-784-7287;  IBM tie line 863-7287
Internet address:  mwsachs @ us.ibm.com

"Matthew MacKenzie" <matt@xmlglobal.com> on 01/30/2001 11:08:39 AM

Please respond to matt@xmlglobal.com

To:   Scott Hinkelman/Austin/IBM@IBMUS, Martin W Sachs/Watson/IBM@IBMUS,
      Duane Nickull <duane@xmlglobal.com>, "Welsh, David"
      <David.Welsh@nordstrom.com>, "Bob Haugen (E-mail)"
      <linkage@interaccess.com>, "Brian Hayes (E-mail)"
      <Brian.Hayes@Commerceone.com>, ebXML-StC <ebxml-stc@lists.ebxml.org>,
      ebxml-tp@lists.ebxml.org, "ebxml-tp@lists.ebxml.org"
      <ebxml-tp@lists.ebxml.org>
cc:

Scott,

If such wording is not allowed to be placed in the TA spec., and there is
no
work done to address the actual negotiation protocol, interoperability will
be nearly impossible in the business process stack.  Do you expect CPAs to
be negotiated by hand until ebXML v2?

It is not enough to tout transport and registry interoperability.  Users
and
vendors need to fill in the CPA blank with a negotiation protocol, which if
followed by implementors will result in fewer unaccepted CPAs.

Having said that, I understand that you guys are under the gun for time.
Would it not be possible to add a discussion about this topic to a public
TODO list, so that interested parties will see that the problem is
acknowledged?

Cheers,

Matthew MacKenzie
XMLGlobal

<<| message from: "Scott Hinkelman" <srh@us.ibm.com> |>>
There is consensus in the TP team not to define a negotiation protocol. [As
> a participant
> in both,] I am not in favor of the proposed TA wording due to this fact .
>
> It does certainly effect the *level* of interoperability with specific
> ebXML parts, but I see
> no "make or break" issues in ebXML  --parts will be able to be used to
some
> levels of interoperability,
> with or without other parts, achieving the goal of loosely-coupled
modules.
> This is much more analog than binary.
>
> If such protocol would eventually be defined it is far from designing an
> implementation, so I would
> think it to be a candidate in some future life.
>
> Thanks,
> Scott Hinkelman, Senior Software Engineer
> XML Industry Enablement
> IBM e-business Standards Strategy
> 512-823-8097 (TL 793-8097) (Cell: 512-940-0519)
> srh@us.ibm.com, Fax: 512-838-1074
>

> Martin W Sachs/Watson/IBM@IBMUS on 01/30/2001 07:51:40 AM
>
> To:   Duane Nickull <duane@xmlglobal.com>
> cc:   "Welsh, David" <David.Welsh@nordstrom.com>, "Bob Haugen (E-mail)"
>       <linkage@interaccess.com>, "Brian Hayes (E-mail)"
>       <Brian.Hayes@Commerceone.com>, ebXML-StC
<ebxml-stc@lists.ebxml.org>,
>       matt@xmlglobal.com, ebxml-tp@lists.ebxml.org
> Subject:  Re: Special note for CPP members
>

> Duane,
>
> There was a better way.  You could have phoned me to discuss before
hitting
> me with proposed TA text that is really in the province of the
Requirements

<<| end message from "Scott Hinkelman" <srh@us.ibm.com> |>>

--
Matthew MacKenzie