ebxml-stc message

Subject: No Subject

-----Original Message-----
From: Narsu, Uttam [mailto:UNarsu@gigaweb.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2001 9:42 AM
To: 'cgeyer7@home.com'
Cc: Gilpin, Mike
Subject: RE: ebXML Integrates SOAP Into Messaging Services Spec

Hi Carol,

This is great news. I have a few questions on this if you don't mind.

1. The W3C wasn't mentioned in the press release. But I presume that you
will be working with the W3C XML Protocol activity which is charged with
standardizing SOAP? What I'm concerned about is that if you use the 1.1
and
SOAP with attachments spec as base documents, if they evolve in the
context
of W3C's activity beyond what ebXML specifies in May (a likely
assumption),
what will ebXML do to maintain compatibility? Will your work be fast
tracked
into the W3C's spec? ebXML is slated for May 2001, but XP is not likely
until 2002.
rik> these issues are being worked out. we have formal representation from
ebxml on the xp wg. we are hoping that the additional functionality that
ebxml brings to soap, such as reliable messaging, will be included in the xp
final recommendations, because i don't think that rpc functionality is
enough for most business to use xp as a transport protocol if we don't.

1a.  It has been suggested that an interesting metaphor for these
standards
is the following:

    smtp, http, etc ---->ebXML
    TCP---->XP, ebxml
     IP---->MIME, xml
Ethernet--->HTTP

The implication is that a future XP can both enable ebXML and ebXML may
depend on XP. Is this a valid scenario?

rik> this is not clear. soap 1.1/ soap with attachments, has three
orthagonal parts: 1) encoding, 2) rpc, and 3) enveloping. ebxml was only
able to use the enveloping part because of the upgrades in functionality in
the envelop structure from soap 1.0 to soap 1.1. our reliable messaging and
security are not supported in soap at this time. if xp uses the
functionality of ebxml transport in the future released version, then your
scenario would be correct. if not then the scenario would not be correct.

2. Has there been any change or warming between Microsoft and ebXML?
Will
BizTalk support ebXML now that SOAP is a common link between the two
specs?

rik> the announcement would not have happened without significant joint
effort between ebxml executives and the microsoft representitives. it is not
clear if biztalk will support ebxml at this time. however, i have begone the
dialogue along thoses lines.

3. What has changed since several months ago when the transport and
routing
group felt SOAP was not ready for prime time (immature was the word
used)?
Was it the recent support for attachments and MIME which made encryption
more feasible and also made it easy to transport arbitrary content
without
base 64 encoding it that sealed the deal?

rik> exactly!

4. Jon Bosak has characterized the distinction between SOAP and ebXML as
being related primarily to quality of service. So there is a continuum
of
services that span the spectrum from those that don't need to be 100%
reliable (an example might be certain types of news-subscription
services)
all the way to trading services (the multi-million dollars transactions
services), which need mission-critical QOS. SOAP would be for the more
simple ones, and ebXML for the more complex ones.

I think he is oversimplifying. Clearly Microsoft has built a
mission-critical architecture (BizTalk) on top of SOAP. So what do you
believe will be the roles for which SOAP and ebXML are best suited?

ebxml offers both reliable and not reliable messaging services, with or
without security. soap 1.1 does not, however biztalk does. ebxml is more
akin to biztalk than soap. ebxml is open, biztalk is owned by a single
company. the market now has two choices, which is always good. microsoft has
historically supported other standards such as "secure edi over internet" a
ietf draft. i would not be surprised if in 12-18 months if they don't
support ebxml also... just my guess.

5. Will the main difference between a SOAP message and an ebXML message
be
that a body in a SOAP message will be a MIME attachment in an ebXML
message?

rik> we have moved all of the ebxml transport functionality to a soap1.1/swa
envelope. this means that existing soap processor may receive and send ebxml
messages. of course they will not know what to do with the ebxml specific
headers and payloads, but they will be able to process it, much in the same
way that smtp can send and receive attachments yet not beable to process
that attachments.

hope that helps, rik

Thanks,
Uttam