ebxml-ta-security message

Subject: RE: sorry....forgot a few things.....

Firstly the use of XMLSignature is a question of when not if. We should use
it sooner rather than later if we can assume that:
1. The spec is final and won't change, and
2. Production quality interoperable solutions are available that can be used
by developers

The issue then becomes is do we still need to support MIME ... I honestly
don't know the answer to that one.

Secondly Chris talks about us being neutral about what you sign in the
payload. I agree, however we should specify for interoparability reasons:
1. Where in the message structure a "message level" signature goes, and
2. How to identify, construct, locate and validate it

A "message level" signature is one which binds together the various parts of
an ebXML Message (header, payload, even transport maybe.

My $0.02c ...

David

-----Original Message-----
From: Christopher Ferris [mailto:chris.ferris@east.sun.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 28, 2000 7:42 PM
To: yanqin xu; ebxml-ta-security@lists.ebxml.org

Jenny,

IBM has an XMLSignature package available through
their alphaworks website:
	http://alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/xmlsecuritysuite

I have actually been exploring the possibilities
for use of DSig to sign the ebXML headers and payload
for that matter.

As to your first question:

Our objective is to keep the signing agnostic
and independent of any specific transport (keeping
in mind that ebXML TR&P Message Service itself
is not specific to any particular transport).

As to your second query, I'm not sure that
I understand the nature of your question. Are
you suggesting that certain elements of the
payload might be signed using a different
algorithm and/or certificate than others? What am I
missing?

Cheers,

Chris

_________
http://explorer.msn.com

--
                               Christopher Ferris
    _/_/_/_/ _/    _/ _/    _/ Sr Staff Engineer - XTC Advanced Development