Subject: RE: confusion on where to discuss trading partners

Marty

I agree with you when you say we need the separation of responsibilties
between TRP and TP properly defined. However I think they do overlap so we
need to make sure they are clear. Here are my ideas ...

THE BASIC SPLIT OF RESPONSIBILITIES ...
---------------------------------------
1. TRP is responsibile for:
  a) defining (amongst other things) the content and structure of the ebXML
Header Document that accompanies a document
2. TP is responsible for:
  a) defining what information (the Party Profile) one party must hold about
another before they can send an ebXML compliant message to another party
  b) defining how two (or more) parties can negotiate and agree the content
of the information and record it in a Trading Partner Agreement (TPA)

PROBLEM AREAS AND SUGGESTED SOLUTIONS ...
PROBLEM 1
There is a use case where, the information one party holds about another is
sent in an ebXML message (see the 2nd use case in the attachment to my
email: Dated: Tue 08/22/2000 2:36 PM; Subject: Trading Partner/Party
Discovery/Agreement Use Cases). This means that there is a conflice between
1a) and 2a).
SUGGESTED SOLUTION
1. TRP amends the ebXML Message Header so that there are place(s) in the
document structure to either:
  a) reference a previously agreed the Trading Partner Agreement,
  b) hold an actual Trading Partner Profile
2. TP specifies what goes into the Party Profile

PROBLEM 2
TP cannot completely specify what goes into the Party Profile as some of it
will be dependent on, for example, how the TRP team specifies the parameters
that are needed to control reliable messaging.
SUGGESTED SOLUTION
1. The TRP team specifies the parameters needed to control the behavior of
an ebXML Messaging Service using two main sources of information:
  a) existing profile specs, e.g IBM's TPA/ML, eCo
  b) the requirements of the ebXML Messaging Services Spec itself
2. The TP team uses this information to help it develop a specification for
the Party Profile that is then reviewed and agreed with the TRP team.

Hope this helps.

David
PS Was the "very senior individual in ebXML" Bob Sutor?