Subject: Re: TPA and ebXML Header question

Chris,

I don't believe that pushing ordered messaging up to the business process
level is the answer.  Consider:

If all the messages at the business process level are request-response,
with only one message at a time, as in tpaML with its sequencing rules,
then it doesn't matter what the messaging service does because the
combination of request-response and one-at-a-time sequencing will preserve
order within a conversation.

The problem arises if the application involves a series of one-way
messages, required to stay in order but with no business-level response.
There is no way for the business process level to enforce ordering because
the sender of a message doesn't know when it is safe to send the next one.
The RM component of the messaging sequence can enforce ordering by blocking
on each message in a logical channel until it receives the RM
Acknowledgment.  That's why I suggested that blocking in the RM function be
controlled by a tag in the CPA and CPP. The blocking would be effective
only for the particular TPA.

Is this a realistic case?  I don't know.  Can anyone tell us?

Regards,
Marty

Martin W. Sachs
IBM T. J. Watson Research Center
P. O. B. 704
Yorktown Hts, NY 10598
914-784-7287;  IBM tie line 863-7287
Internet address:  mwsachs @ us.ibm.com

Christopher Ferris <chris.ferris@east.sun.com> on 10/04/2000 10:51:10 AM

To:   Martin W Sachs/Watson/IBM@IBMUS
cc:   Scott Hinkelman/Austin/IBM@IBMUS, Bob Haugen
      <linkage@interaccess.com>, David RR Webber <Gnosis_@compuserve.com>,
      Zvi Bruckner <zvi.b@sapiens.com>, "ebxml-tp@lists.ebxml.org"
      <ebxml-tp@lists.ebxml.org>, "ebxml-transport@lists.ebxml.org"
      <ebxml-transport@lists.ebxml.org>

A minor tweak below, otherwise, I concur.

Chris

Martin W Sachs/Watson/IBM wrote:

> Summing up what I think I have seen on MS ACKS (composite of opinion, not
> necessarily consensus):
>
> MS ACKs are needed (this is essential to reliable messaging)
>
> The messaging service should not require blocking of a logical channel
> until an MS ACK is received.
>
> Blocking may in any case be enforced by business-level responses.
>
> Partner Profile and Partner Agreement should specify whether blocking is
                                         ^^^^^^^
s/b sequencing IMHO. That is to say that at the business process level
(not conversation) the sequence of messages might be enforced/required.

--
    _/_/_/_/ _/    _/ _/    _/ Christopher Ferris - Enterprise Architect
   _/       _/    _/ _/_/  _/  Phone: 781-442-3063 or x23063