Subject: RE: TPA and ebXML Header question

Marty wrote............
>The messaging service should not have to know anything about the
sequencing
>requirements of the application.  The question is only whether the
>messaging service can provide a (possibly optional) valuable service to
the
>application by maintaining ordered delivery.  For an application using
>one-way messages (see subsequent posting for example) and needing ordered
>delivery, providing ordered delivery in the messaging service avoids the

I believe that an application using one-way messages by definition does not
need ordered
or reliable delivery from my view of using a "Messaging Service".
(Also, All one-way calls at the app level should not expect a
business-document return.)

(hold the rocks please, but...)
In CORBA, the issue of RM on oneway calls is addressed by the use of Event
Services,
which provides reliablity on non blocking calls. As extensions to this base
service,
Priority functions, etc, are used to support ordering, etc. This is part of
the
Architecture on where QOS is intended.

Scott Hinkelman, Senior Software Engineer
XML Industry Enablement
IBM e-business Standards Strategy
512-823-8097 (TL 793-8097) (Cell: 512-940-0519)
srh@us.ibm.com, Fax: 512-838-1074

Martin W Sachs/Watson/IBM@IBMUS on 10/16/2000 09:01:51 AM

The messaging service should not have to know anything about the sequencing
requirements of the application.  The question is only whether the
messaging service can provide a (possibly optional) valuable service to the
application by maintaining ordered delivery.  For an application using
one-way messages (see subsequent posting for example) and needing ordered
delivery, providing ordered delivery in the messaging service avoids the
need for the application services layer to buffer a (possibly) large number
of sequence-numbered messages in order to correct any mis-ordering before
passing them to the application.

Regards,
Marty

Martin W. Sachs
IBM T. J. Watson Research Center
P. O. B. 704
Yorktown Hts, NY 10598
914-784-7287;  IBM tie line 863-7287
Internet address:  mwsachs @ us.ibm.com

Rik Drummond <rvd2@worldnet.att.net> on 10/14/2000 01:45:14 AM

cc:   ebxml-tp@lists.ebxml.org, ebxml-transport@lists.ebxml.org

i still do not see that the transport has to know a whole lot about the
message sequencing in the application... maybe i am dense.....