Subject: RE: Certifcate element..RE: comments on cppml,v0.1.dtd

I remember somewhere recently that we wondered whether
we wanted the CPP & CPAs to be deprecated if only the
certificate for a given authorizing role changed; for
example, if the SSL server name changed or the signing
certificate expired and a new certificate was issued.

The KeyInfo field seems to move us toward the consequence
that we will have to deprecate the CPP because it
would typically include the actual base64 encoded
certificate chain. I see the KeyInfo field as basically
the xmldsig analog of the pkcs7 set of CRLS and Certs
that can be included in a smime message.

Of course, so would other values tied to the actual
identity of the certificate (rather than pointers)
like the fingerprints of serial numbers I mentioned.

If we used some link facility, we would
only point to the actual security objects (and they
could change and the link (URL) stay the same.

I think I now am leaning toward a pointer/reference
mode of CPP/CPA link to the cert chains and crls,
but could be swayed otherwise (for example, if the
URL allows the cert to be replaced, possibly
we open up a maintenance issue (how to notify to
recheck the URL ) or mischief opportunity.)

We are in effect inventing yet another means
of certificate distribution by obtaining
certs from a CPA to store in a cert/crl cache.