Subject: RE: Certifcate element..RE: comments on cppml,v0.1.dtd

ZA,

	You are right. It is better to include the cert chain for the DSig. And
hopefully this is part of the ebXML security recommendation.

	But the deeper question is, should we keep the cert chain as a part of the
CPP ? (I have been agonizing on this for the last couple of days).

Chris,

	Thanks for the reply. It made me think more and possibly reverse my earlier
position !

	May be it is a good idea to keep the cert chain in the CPP - makes it
easier for SMEs ! No need for a PKI et al. On one of the systems I had
developed, we did keep the certs in a pseudo registry and used it for
authentication et al.

	But we need to make some provision for expired certs (including expired
certs somewhere in the chain); may be say "Handle expired certs thru
out-of-band schemes". We also need to handle CRLs, especially because the
CPPs are long lived documents. I assume we could invalidate a CPP if and
when we encounter a revoked or expired certificate. At the implementation
level, the registry also could run some daemons to check the validity of the
certs.

	If we go this route (i.e. store certs as a part of CPP), it would
definitely help the regrep, as we can then require a CPP with certificates
*before* content submission. Then hopefully processing authentication and
authorization is much easier - will have to think this thru.

	And if we do store certs, we might as well use the way DSig does it so that
there is some leverage by using existing standards.

	Of course, any username/PW schemes would need to be done out-of-band, as
this information is too sensitive to store with the CPP. Another point in
this regard, is the existence of URLs (login/Request/Response) in a public
document, making them susceptible to denial of service et al.

	Does the above picture change if we use PGP ?

	cheers